badge2

Hurstpierpoint Bowling Club - History

A brief overview of the history of bowling in Hurstpierpoint is as follows:

One of the earliest documented records of bowls being played in Hurstpierpoint can be found in The Sussex Agricultural Express for Saturday 30 June 1906. The article states that the Coronation Lodge of the Ancient Order of Druids came to Hurstpierpoint and played quoits and bowls on the previous Wednesday and had tea at the New Inn.

The following year (1907) Hurstpierpoint Parish Council formally made a space available for bowls in the south east corner of the recreation ground. (See press cutting from Sussex Express, Surrey Standard and Kent Mail of Saturday May 4th. 1907, below).



The bowling green remained in that position until the mid-1950's when a new bowling green was laid approximately 50 yards south of the original location. A map of 1955 shows the relationship between the old and new bowling greens with the original bowling green highlighted in pink and the present bowling green highlighted in yellow. (see map below). Also depicted on the map to the west of the old bowling green is the original clubhouse (tiny grey rectangle).


Between the summers of 1907 and 1922, whilst bowling undoubtedly took place, it appears to have been on an informal basis, as to date no records have been located to support either the formation of a club or matches with surrounding villages. The proposal to form Hurstpierpoint Bowling Club was published in May 1923. (see below)


The report of the inaugural Annual General Meeting of 1923 from the Sussex Agricultural Express of Friday 26th October 1923 is given below. It shows how times and attitudes change as such a format would be outlawed today. (see below)



One of the leading bowlers of those early years was Mr. George L. Thomson. Unfortunately he had lost one arm whilst serving as a Lieutenant in the Rifle Brigade during the First World War but that did not stop him winning the club Championship in 1924 and 1927 and the double of the club Championship and Handicap competitions in 1926. (As shown in the press cutting right).



Top Left        

The tree signifies the origin of the village name from the 11th century Herst (Hurst) which was the Old English name for a wood.






Bottom Left

Represents the game of bowls


Explanation of Hurstpierpoint Bowling Club's badge








Top Right

The twin hills are those that can be seen from the bowling green. To the left is the Iron Age Fort of Wolstonbury Hill (Height 206 metres) and to the right Truleigh Hill (Height 216 metres) which was a WWII Radar Station. Interestingly although the           address for the Bowling Club is now South Avenue it was previously known as Hill Road.



Bottom Right

Are the six Martlets representing the County of Sussex in which Hurstpierpoint is located. It was originally in East Sussex and was moved to West  Sussex under the 1974 Local Government reorganisation.